Demonstrating the NBA 2K series’ commitment to authenticity and innovation, 2K and Visual Concepts joined forces with legendary filmmaker and master storyteller Spike Lee to direct, write and co-produce the NBA 2K16’s MyCAREER experience enabling fans to be the story of an NBA player with drama never before experienced in a sports game. Lee’s resume, not only as the most famous fan of the New York Knicks, but as director for the classic feature film He Got Game and Nike’s Mars Blackmon commercial series, demonstrates his passion for basketball culture and storytelling ability which culminate as an interactive experience in NBA 2K16’s MyCAREER.
“Partnering with legendary 2K and Visual Concepts is one of the most unique challenges I’ve had in filmmaking, and allows me to push the boundaries of innovative storytelling,” said Spike Lee. “My hope is fans will feel even more connected to the world of basketball inNBA 2K16.”
Paralleling Curry, Harden and Davis’ path to stardom, NBA 2K16’s MyCAREER gameplay will combine NBA 2K’s most-played mode with a rich, original story written and directed by Lee and produced by Lee’s production company, 40 Acres and a Mule.
“Working with Spike Lee on NBA2K16’s MyCAREER has elevated our most popular game experience from both a visual and narrative perspective,” said Greg Thomas, President, Visual Concepts. “By writing and directing the MyCAREER storyline, Spike brings the real world experience of the NBA to life like never before making NBA 2K16 the ultimate simulation.”
2K also announced that three of the NBA’s top superstars will be making their cover debuts on NBA 2K16: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry, Houston Rockets’ James Harden, and New Orleans Pelicans’ Anthony Davis. All three athletes will grace their own individual NBA 2K16 cover, celebrating their remarkable on-court achievements this season and throughout their careers.
Each athlete, from Curry, the 2014-15 Kia NBA Most Valuable Player to Harden, a three time NBA All-Star and Davis, two-time NBA All-Star and NBA block leader who helped lead the New Orleans Pelicans franchise to its first ever playoffs appearance, has thoroughly earned the coveted cover role.
- “This season has been an incredible journey for me and my teammates, and being selected as a cover athlete for NBA 2K16 is an amazing way to celebrate this year. It’s a blessing to be named a member of this special group and I am honored." – Stephen Curry, NBA’s 2015 Most Valuable Player
- "Fans had a chance to get a glimpse of what I’m capable of this season, so I’m honored to be recognized as a cover athlete ofNBA 2K16. I’ve dreamed of making it since I was a kid, and seeing myself on the cover is an incredible feeling.” – James Harden
- “I’ve enjoyed working with 2K the past few years and it’s an honor to be selected for a cover of NBA 2K16. Just thinking about the players who have been on NBA 2K covers before me makes me feel humbled to be in such amazing company.” – Anthony Davis
Developed by Visual Concepts, NBA 2K16 is not yet rated by the ESRB. NBA 2K16 will be available for PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systems, the Xbox One all-in-one games and entertainment system and Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft; and Windows PC platforms on September 29, 2015.
Fans can pre-order NBA 2K16 at participating North American retail and online vendors, ensuring they receive their copy beginning on Friday, September 25, four days ahead of the game’s September 29 street date, along with in-game bonuses. While game covers will be distributed at random, fans can rest at ease knowing that each game box includes a foldable insert with all 3 individual cover athletes, ensuring the ability to insert the cover of their choice into the front of box.
Beginning today, fans can pre-order NBA 2K16 at participating North American retail and online vendors, ensuring they receive their copy beginning on Friday, September 25, four days ahead of the game’s September 29 street date, along with in-game bonuses
In addition to Early Tip-Off Weekend access, NBA 2K16 pre-orders will include the following in-game bonuses:
- 10,000 Virtual Currency (VC);
- MyTEAM VIP Package:
- New-Gen & PC - 3 MyTEAM Emerald Packs each with a guaranteed Emerald player;
- Prior-Gen - MyTEAM Gold Booster Pack with Guaranteed Gold Player and 4 additional Gold items.
NBA 2K16 will be available for PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systems, the Xbox One all-in-one games and entertainment system and Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft; and Windows PC platforms on September 29, 2015.